How To Make A Classic Manhattan
The manhattan cocktail was the drink of choice for Frank Sinatra and his homeboys in the Rat Pack. Classic drinks stay in style, so stick with a Manhattan when all else fails.
Classic cocktail recipes, like the manhattan, are necessary to memorize. Not necessarily because you'll be drinking them on the reg, which I whole heartedly approve of. More so because classic cocktail recipes become a template for creating new drink recipes. Without going too much in detail, if you memorize the recipe (2 oz spirit, 1 oz sweet vermouth, bitters), it will provide a baseline for you if you feel compelled to create a riff on the classic. In the interim, just go ahead and enjoy this one!
- 2 oz. Rye Whiskey
- 1 oz. Sweet Vermouth
- 2 Dashes of Angostura Bitters
- Maraschino Cherry
1. Using a mixing glass, pour in the rye, sweet vermouth, and dash of Angostura bitters.
2. Fill the mixing glass with ice cubes, and stir the drink for 15-20 seconds until chilled.
3. Strain the drink over a chilled coupe glass.
4. Garnish with a gourmet maraschino cherry