The Apartment Mule With Smirnoff No. 21 Vodka
1.5 ounces of Smirnoff No. 21 Vodka. Splash of fresh lime juice. Top with ginger beer. All built in a copper mug filled with crushed ice. This is the original recipe of the Moscow Mule. It's timeless and classic, but it's nothing complex and when it was invented, that's exactly how John Martin of Heublein (now the Smirnoff Co.) wanted it to be.
This year marks the 75th anniversary of the original Moscow Mule, created with Smirnoff Vodka. Let's rewind 75 years ago. It was a time when brown spirits were the name of the game, and vodka was nowhere near as prevalent as it is now. The Smirnoff brand and the Moscow Mule helped change this. As this simple, iconic cocktail gained popularity so did a lot of other vodka-based beverages.
Now let's fast forward 75 years from the origin of the Moscow Mule to my life pre-Apartment Bartender. I had no idea how to craft a cocktail, but I was curious. I remember watching a friend make himself an original Mule and thinking to myself, "I can do that." So I did, and that was the first cocktail I ever made for myself. It was nothing complex, but that's exactly how I wanted it.
The original Moscow Mule recipe is approachable. It isn't off-putting with inaccessible ingredients, and that's why it was one of the cocktails that sparked my curiosity to dive more into the world of spirits and home bartending. I'm a fan of the back story and fascinated with how much it shifted what we've come to enjoy imbibing. What I love even more is how versatile it is. Smirnoff's original Moscow Mule recipe is timeless. It's classic, but it's also a template for creating and having fun with new Mule recipes, and that's what I did here with my "Apartment Mule" recipe.
- 1.5 oz Smirnoff No. 21 Vodka
- 1.5 oz Fresh Squeezed Grapefruit Juice
- 4-5 Muddled Blackberries
- Top with ginger beer (3-4 ounces)
1. In a cocktail shaker, combine 4-5 blackberries and only 3/4 ounce of grapefruit juice. Muddle the blackberries to release the juice. Strain the juice into the copper mug so you leave behind the chunks of muddled blackberry.
2. In the copper mug, pour in the other 3/4 ounce of grapefruit juice and Smirnoff No. 21 Vodka. Fill the copper mug with crushed ice. Top the drink with 3-4 ounces of ginger beer, then top the copper mug off with more crushed ice.
3. Garnish the Apartment Mule with a blackberry. This post was created in Partnership with Smirnoff. All views and opinions are my own.